Monday, March 14, 2011

Bullying

http://www.dictionary.com/ defines bullying as a blustering, quarrelsome, overbearing person who habitually badgers and intimidates smaller or weaker people. The reason I decided to write on this subject today is I noticed a posting on facebook this morning that posting is as follows:
The One you just called fat? She has been starving herself & has lost over 30lbs. The One you just called stupid? She has a learning disability & studies over 4hrs a night. The One you just called ugly? She spends hours putting makeup on hoping people will like her. The One you just tripped? She is abused enough at home. There's a lot more to people than you think.
I read this and have to admit I was at a lost for words. I still am at a lost for words. My first thought was why do people feel they need to bully people? Do they feel inferior? Do they feel ugly, stupid, fat or are they abused at home? I just don't get it. I, to this day, can remember the name of the kid who was the bully in my class in grade school and it was a great first day when we showed up at school for I believe was third grade and we found out he had moved. I have never seen him since, not in junior high or high school and I hope he ended up getting his ass royally kicked at some point in his life for all the fear he put into the rest of us. Funny thing is, I never saw him fight and when he threw the punch at me he missed. I guess when you wear glasses at that age your depth perception is skewed. Then along came the bullys of junior high, one I believe is dead, one or two others ended up going to prison. We realized it was best just to avoid or make sure you were with a group because they prayed on the loner until that fateful day when the boys from the north side kicked them to the curb and the rest of us were thankful that they north side kids were cool and had respect for others. My question - Do bullys learn to adapt? Do they adjust depending on where they are in life? Do you have a person at work that strikes fear in you? Here is the list for adult bullys: Narcissistic, Impulsive, Physical, Verbal and Secondary bullys. Look them up and get to know them.
Here's what I found interesting about the word bully. According to http://www.dictionary.com/ the word use to be defined as sweetheart; darling but that became obsolete. From there it was defined as Good friend, good fellow but this became obsolete. Then the definition came to be a pimp; procurer and then on to a man hired to do violence. Both of these definitions are now considered obsolete and archaic. Which brings us to our definition of today. Kind of interesting to see how a word that originates in 1530 and means sweetheart evolves through time and comes to mean what it does today. I don't have any suggestions on how to deal with bullies I just hope you don't have to deal with any. I guess I do have one suggestion - tell everyone you can possibly think of and tell them the things they do to you. Bullies, in my book, can't handle people in numbers but be careful because it wouldn't surprise me if the bully is capable of being manipulative. It's time to stop bullies and put an end to all of the hate. Looking at the definitions of the word throughout time one can see how we as a society have evolved, we become more and more negative over time. Make the change to stop being negative and be Positive!
Have the Greatest week your life! Ask, Believe, Receive!

No comments:

Post a Comment