Friday, March 18, 2011

Maybe there's something to this Friggin' thing

Merriam-Webster defines Friday as (drum roll tattatatatta) the sixth day of the week! You know what that means don't you.... Monday is not the first day of the week, Sunday is, so get off of Monday's back! Here's the funny thing about Friday... it comes from the Old English "Frigedaeg" - Frig (frigga) + daeg(day). FRIG, I'm laughing my Friday ass off. By the way, do you know why people like to go out on Fridays? Because the next word in the dictionary(at least according to the Merriam-Webster web site) is Fridge. Friday + Fridge = Beer! It's akin to Einstein's theory of relativity. By the way, Frigga is the wife of Odin and Norse goddess of married love and of the hearth. So, let me get this straight, all the love people feel on Friday nights is "married love"??? Well, like I say, it's only pre-marital sex if you're planning on getting married. Take the "ga" off of Frigga gets you to Frig which in Brian M's terms means to coppulate or the Old English to wriggle(please see friggin Fridays to learn more) So can we all see the cycle when it comes to Friday? One big vicious circle isn't it.
Friday + Fridge + Friggin= Beer Goggles!
Beer defined by Merriam-Webster
: an alcoholic beverage usually made from malted cereal grain (as barley), flavored with hops, and brewed by slow fermentation
2: a carbonated nonalcoholic or a fermented slightly alcoholic beverage with flavoring from roots or other plant parts <birch beer>
3: fermented mash
4: a drink of beer
Does anyone else find definition 4 funny? Beer is defined as a "Drink of Beer". What the hell, were they drinking ber, beor, or bior? My curiosity has gotten the best of me especially when I saw the link that said " See beer defined for English-Language learners" so yes I had to click on it. Here we go....click... and the answer is....
1 : an alcoholic drink made from malt and flavored with hops [noncount] Would you like beer with dinner? The pub brews its own beer. a glass of beer a beer mug [count] I'll have a beer, please. a couple of cold beers
2 [noncount] : a drink made from roots or other parts of plants a glass of birch/ginger beersee also root beer
—beery Listen to audio /ˈbiri/ adjective beer·i·er; beer·i·est a beery flavor/smell a beery tavern
What the hell is a "Beery" tavern? Oh this beer is the "beeriest" I have ever had!!! Geesh, do you have anything that is a tad "beerier"? What is that stench.. that smell is so damn beery!!! eeewwww.
Somebody get me a drink made from malt and flavored with hops please!!! What the Friday is going on here? I for one prefer Whiskey(Jack Daniels) because it is a liquor made from fermented wort. Uhhhmmm.. "WORT" what is this "wort" stuff?? Well at least Whiskeys origins literally means "water of life" I knew there was something about it. YES! Whew, wort just means root, herb or plant. On a side note, did you know that whiskey rhymes with "pliskie". It sure does and the word pliskie means practical joke and is chiefly Scottish. Funny thing about it is there wasn't a link for English-language learners. I am so Thankful that I had the greatest English teachers because I would certainly hate to be an English-language learner. I could see it now.... I would be walking into the beeriest beery tavern ordering a drink made from malt and flavored with hops and the next thing you know someone would pull a pliskie on me and I get a drink made from fermented wort. Whew, thank God I know what I'm talking about!!
Have a Great Frigedaeg and weekend. Ask, Believe, Receive.

1 comment: