Monday, March 21, 2011

Who Do You Think You Are!(What gives you the right!)

Who do you think you are? What gives you the right? At what point do you think you can tell me or anyone else what is best for myself, my kid, my family, or anyone else outside of your family? I spend every waking moment of my time trying to make myself a better person, trying to be a positive person, trying to teach my son respect, character, and confidence. But once again the negativity in this community is showing its ugly face and I'm tired of the select few who feel they have the right to tell me where my kid can play hockey. To the certain members of  AHA board of directors I say this... I will decide whether or not my son will tryout and play travel hockey. He is not your child and you have know idea of the conversations we as a family have had is this regard. I don't tell you that your child cannot tryout or tell you that your child has to play house league hockey because we need to be more competitive at that level... last time I checked house league was considered a recreational league and was open to everyone who wanted to play, has that changed? We as a family have decided we wanted to take it to the next level of competition, we wanted to increase our level of dedication, our son requested it two years ago and told us this is want he wanted! If that doesn't meet your acceptance than that's just too bad it is not up to you. What is up to you is to provide an opportunity for kids to play hockey, it is not up to you to determine at what level they play at and I would say I'm sorry but I'm not, we choose to play at what I consider to be a higher level than house league hockey. Funny, we don't have any regrets, my sons ability has increased 500% because of it. The families involved have been incredible and we consider them all good friends, there isn't any negativity and no one complains about what needs to be done and the amount of dedication involved per family. We love doing it, we love traveling, we love volunteering, we love fund raising and I for one haven't heard anyone complain about it.
To Chris Limback: Thank you Chris. You sir are an incredible person. You take kids and bring out the best in them both on and off the ice. You have taught these young people what respect for others is all about. Your program is not just about hockey it is about character and community. Please note that the people who criticize you fail to realize that maybe, just maybe, the "hard" work their kids say they put in at practice might not be exactly true. Ask yourself how many of them have watched their kid at a practice and then smile and know that what you are doing for these young people is teaching them what hard work is all about and the rewards that can and will come to those of them who work hard. Seasonal league titles and a district championship say a lot for what it is you do. Thank you again for teaching, coaching and mentoring my son. For you, Chris Limback, I am grateful. The Wrecks organization is an incredible vehicle for these young people to be on and I am thankful to be a part of such a great organization and family.

Thank you again!
Scott Matteson

No comments:

Post a Comment