Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Fat Tuesday and Paczki

Today is a day of celebration and great food. Okay, maybe not great food but at least Paczki's!! How much do you know about Mardi Gras? Are you aware that Gras is the French word for Fat and Mardi is French for Tuesday? I have to admit I didn't know that. To explain Mardi Gras I could go into the whole religious connotation and talk about the Epiphany also referred to as the Twelfth night, Three Kings day and sometimes Theophany and we can discuss the visit of the three wise men and how all this leads up to Mardi Gras but somehow I think that would be a tad boring (sorry dad didn't think ignorant would fit here, had to use the word boring). Instead, let's talk about how a French explorer landed 60 miles south of what is now New Orleans and named the place Point du Mardi Gras (bless his heart) obviously he was a partier. Lets take a trip back in time shall we.... (picture Wayne's World Flash Back). I can see him with his big Hurricane glass with the little Umbrella looking at his first mate and uttering the infamous words "Wee Wee!" So of course the First Mate not wanting him to "Wee, Wee" on the ship pulled over to let him run into the woods and this my friends is how Point du Mardi Gras was discovered. Let the party begin and it did, with masked balls (now that's funny, masked balls!) and parties... and then (sadness), in the mid-1700's, along come the Spaniards and the celebrations were promptly banned (Boo, Cat Calls, Go Take a Nap!) Then along came the United States (yea!!!) and the banned continued (WTF! Did these guys go to BYU??) then in 1827 the celebrations resumed and the bourbon flowed and the jazz and blues played and the beads and boobs began to fly!!! Then someone said "Hey! We need some team colors!" and the Transvestite in the corner said we will use.. Purple - for Justice, Green - for Faith and Gold - for Power! and it was done.
I can hear you asking.. "What does this have to do with Paczki?" My first thought.. you need something to soak up the alcohol. Traditionally pancakes where made to use up the "forbidden" fats that couldn't be used during lent. But Paczki is Polish and in Poland, Paczki day is celebrated on Fat Thursday (leave it to the Polish to get the day mixed up). According to my sources young men's balls would be held in well-to-do manors while country folk would make merry(whatever the hell that is) and Peasants would eat zimne nog, kiszka, and kielbasa z kapusta all the while washing it down with beer and gorzalka. By the way I may have that last part mixed up but I'm doing the best I can.
Enjoy your Fat Tuesday and if your Polish your Fat Thursday as for me I think I will enjoy both.
Have a Great Day! Ask, Believe, Receive!

No comments:

Post a Comment